When considering how to update your kitchen, you may consider the differences between a traditional vs. transitional kitchen. Whether creating a transitional kitchen or following the guidelines for a traditional style, you should love your kitchen after its facelift. Learn what you need to know about both types of kitchen styles from the professionals handling expert kitchen remodeling in Southeast, MI.
What is a Traditional Kitchen?
Traditional kitchens pull different design elements from classic styles like colonial America and the Mediterranean. Think eggshell whites, elegant scrollwork on everything from the range hood to the cabinet molding, and materials like marble and painted wood. While indulging in the classy styles of a traditional kitchen, you won’t have to sacrifice contemporary or modernized designs.
Features of a Traditional Kitchen
You’ll usually recognize a traditional kitchen based on these common design elements:
- Raised panels on cabinet doors
- Elaborate, ornamental crown molding
- Natural flooring like stone, hardwood, or tile
- Classic colors or stains, often in muted tones
- Traditional lighting options like lantern-style lights or chandeliers
What is a Transitional Kitchen?
Transitional kitchens blend classic kitchen designs from the modern day and yesteryear, allowing you to combine a range of style elements. You’ll enjoy surprising visitors by creatively incorporating old or used materials while maintaining a beautiful, well-organized kitchen. A kitchen designer can help you meld your preferred designs from previous decades into your contemporary kitchen.
Features of a Transitional Kitchen
You can tell the difference between traditional vs. transitional kitchens by recognizing these transitional kitchen features:
- Simple cabinet door styles
- Neutral colors that are often inspired by nature
- Clean lines in the crown molding, cabinets, and countertops
- Design elements consisting of manufactured and natural building materials
- Simple, modern lighting options such as recessed lights or industrial lighting fixtures
Which Kitchen Should You Choose?
Choosing the right type of kitchen depends majorly on your personality and how you wish to present your kitchen to your family and friends. You also want to consider the size of your kitchen and which style best provides your kitchen with adequate lighting and a clean, uncluttered appearance.
If you plan to sell your home in the near future and want to update it for potential buyers, take a look around the rest of your house and use the style that best matches everything else. A traditional home with a suddenly modernized yet dated kitchen can come out of nowhere, while a more creatively built or decorated home will feel unusual with a strict, traditional kitchen.
Build Your Ideal Traditional or Transitional Kitchen with Cabinet Creations
Choosing a traditional vs. transitional kitchen depends on which style best matches you and your home’s design. At Cabinet Creations, our in-house designers work with clients to provide traditional or transitional kitchens for homeowners in Katy, TX. We can also help if you want to update the rest of your home with professional construction, including mudrooms, offices, and bathrooms.
To learn more about traditional or transitional kitchen design and installation, contact Cabinet Creations in Katy, TX, at (248) 618-3332.
- 5 Questions To Ask a Contractor Before Remodeling a Kitchen - May 12, 2023
- How to Plan a Kitchen Remodel Project: 5 Pro Tips - May 12, 2023
- 4 Crucial Tips to Achieve Your Remodeled Kitchen Goals - May 12, 2023